Wednesday 27 March 2013

Want some bum with your bun?

So today, a girl at work told me about some article that had apparently been rolling around facespace for the last few weeks which I clearly have missed (nose has been in my uni books). I was actually glad, when I read this. that I dont actually buy my hot cross buns from Coles or Woolies - they are full of preservatives and CRAP and what she told me today, really cemented all of it. I was disgusted, I was angry and than I was sad. 

Coles and woolies have been putting Palm oil in their buns (and other goods!). For those a little uneducated about this oil like me, this means that some gorgeous Orangutans are losing their homes, so we can have baked goods, yummy treats (which may I add, is going to straight to your arse), cosmetics (eww) and cleaning agents! 



What I am saying is only the tip of the iceberg lettuce, because palm oil is not just an issue and sad story that these gorgeous animals are losing their homes, the nutritional benefit of palm oil is...welll... non-existent. Palm Oil is high in saturated fat content (the bad fat) and as anyone will tell you, bad fat means bad things - eg heart disease, increases cholestrol levels, raises blood pressure which badda bing means FAT ALL OVER YOUR BODY AND YOUR BUM!! These four health issues are what is the cause of the worlds biggest killer, cardiovascular disease (YOUR HEART!) which claims a life every 2 seconds. Palm oil is also know to be associated with arthritis, inflammation and even breast and prostate cancer!! GAH!

How do you like our tim tams now? Yes those babies have Palm Oil.... What about some Mainland Cheese....yep in that to! Check out this link for more products - http://www.saynotopalmoil.com/palm-oil.php

The scary thing is, you may not even be aware that its in your products because thanks to their being no laws on the mandatory labelling of Palm Oil in most countries (including Australia), its listed under different names!  Ever seen the word "Vegetable Oil" on something... you can bet your bucks that its most like to be Palm Oil. 

Other names it could be:

  • Vegetable Fat
  • Sodium Dodecyl Sulphate
  • Palm Kernal
  • Palm Oil Kernal
  • Palm Fruit Oil
  • Palmate
There are many other names, just google "Palm Oil" and be shocked at what you find.

So when you go to get hot cross buns for the weekend (please if you do, in moderation!) or some chocolate (again in moderation!) - remember the info above or better yet, make your own hot cross buns! At least you know whats in them! 


If you want to know more, these sites are full of information (I warn you though, it is sad as well) visit the following sites:


Vote with your wallets people! If you do buy these products, maybe think before you do or even better, walk to the fruit and veg section and get yourself some real food! Save some animals and your arse!

HAPPY EASTER everyone, be safe, be healthy and make sure you move your body!!

No comments:

Post a Comment